Castor oil has been known for ages for healing the health problems. The oil is applied topically for skin care and internally as a laxative and to induce labor. Castor oil packs are one of the ways of castor oil application. It is an external way of the oil usage being recommended as a highly effective for the body organs healing.
What is castor oil?
Castor oil is pale yellow oil extracted from the seeds of castor oil plant Ricinus Communes. As Wikipedia states castor oil is high in unsaturated fatty acids. Ricinoleic acid plays the main role in castor oil. This fatty acid is found only in castor oil and possesses a lot of benefits. It is proven to be anti-inflammatory according to Wikipedia. Castor oil is also a source of undecylenic acid with antifungal and antibacterial properties.
Benefits of castor oil packs
Edgar Cayce was the first who popularized castor oil packs. Castor oil packs were used in ancient Egypt and the psychic healer Edgar Cayce suggested their usage. Castor oil plant is also known as the Palma Christi or Palm of Christ. Cayce believed that castor oil packs had a connection with the nervous system and the majority of other systems and helped return health to the body. Later the health care physician William McGarey in his researches has proved that castor oil packs improve the immune system functioning. Castor oil packs stimulate the following systems of the body:
- Lymphatic System. Castor oil promotes the functioning of the lymphatic system, it increases the lymph movement. This system removes waste and toxins from cells. Thus, castor oil packs support the immune system. They also cleanse the body and promote the health of reproductive organs
- Circulatory system. The oil promotes circulation and castor oil packs help bring in nutrients-rich and oxygenated blood to the body organs.
SEE ALSO: When Is Castor oil Toxic?
Use of castor oil packs
Castor oil packs are a great remedy for cleansing the body, the liver and removing toxins. They are also widely used for the reproductive system healing. Castor oil packs treat ovarian cysts and fibroids. It supports uterine and fallopian tubes health. Castor oil packs applied on joint and back can relieve pain and can be used for treating arthritis.
How to make castor oil packs
To make a castor oil pack you need a large clean cloth, castor oil and a bottle with hot water and a plastic wrap.
- Soak the cloth in castor oil and put it on the skin of the affected area. Usually it is recommended to place castor oil packs on the lower abdomen. The position of the packs depends on the aim they are used for.
- Cover the cloth with a plastic wrap and put the bottle with hot water above. Leave for 30 minutes. It’s better to have a rest while applying castor oil packs.
- Remove the pack and clean the skin. If it is difficult to remove the oil add baking soda to your water.
- You may use the pack several times; just keep it closed in the refrigerator. If the pack changes its color you should make a new one. To feel the result you should apply castor oil packs for 4 days a week during one month.
Consult your doctor before using castor oil packs and conduct a patch test to make sure that you are not sensitive to castor oil.