Who doesn’t like popcorn? You can easily make it at home even without a microwave. Follow this easy recipe to treat yourself to a delicious and healthier snack!
The things you need are:
- 1/2 cup of popping corn
- heavy-bottom frying pan or pot with a lid
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
Coconut oil is ideal for popcorn because of its texture, flavor, ability to withstand high temperatures, long shelf life, health beneficial and even weight loss properties. Coconut oil popcorn is unprocessed and preservatives-free; it is low in calories too. (More about coconut oil nutrition facts here)
COCONUT OIL IN YOUR DIET: 4 Easy Yet Delicious Recipes
Coconut oil smoking point and cooking tips
According to Wikipedia, coconut oil melts at 75°F, thus, at room temperature it is solid. It has a 350°F smoke point, which makes it safe for medium-heat cooking, for baking and popcorn-making. Coconut oil contains only 2 percent of high polyunsaturated fats that makes it one the most stable cooking oils. About 50 percent of coconut oil saturated fats are lauric acid, which has antibacterial properties. Moreover, our body converts lauric acids into monolaurin, which helps fight with fat-coated viruses, bacteria and fungi.
However, avoid hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated coconut oil because its heating produces trans fats, so this oil becomes unhealthy if it is used for popcorn-making.
How to make coconut oil popcorn
- Pour 3 tbsp. of coconut oil into a frying pan or a heavy-bottom pot. Cover the pot with a lid and heat it medium-high.
- Add 1/2 cup of popping corn you like. Put the lid on the pot again.
- Wait for the corn to start popping. Sometimes shake the pot over the burner back and forth.
- Listen for the popping. After some time it will begin slowing down. When you notice two- second interval between pops, remove the pot from the burner.
- Put the popcorn into a bowl.
- If you want to add some spice to popcorn you may mix together some spices to your liking (cinnamon, white pepper, rosemary) and 3 tbsp. more of coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Pour this mixture over the popcorn. Sprinkle with sea salt.