Using wheat germ oil as an additional scar treating home remedy should be considered along with professional medical approach. The oil contains a high amount of Vitamin E and Omega-3 and -6 fatty acids, which help much to regenerate, nourish and hydrate the skin. Therefore, wheat germ oil can promote diminishing in the appearance of scars, says Leslie Baumann, MD in her book “Cosmetic Dermatology: Principles and Practice” (2009).
Nevertheless, there is no scientific proof that using wheat germ oil alone can be enough for sufficient repairing of the skin. The main feature of the oil content is its richness in Vitamin E, which is a great moisturizer and antioxidant. At the same time, “topically applied vitamin E does not help in improving the cosmetic appearance of scars”, as it is said in the study of the University of Miami Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery. More over, about 30% of volunteers developed contact dermatitis to the high amount of Vitamin E. The research discouraged the use of topical Vitamin E on surgical wounds.
However, the mentioned fact does not mean the general discourage of using wheat germ oil for scars. The product is also high in essential fatty acids – especially Linoleic acid (Omega-6), which can drastically reduce inflammation, redness, swelling and pain associated with breakouts. Deficiency in essential fatty acids results in prolonged healing period for wounds. All in all, wheat germ oil has a number of beneficial effects on the skin.
SEE ALSO: Can Coconut Oil Clear Acne?
Using wheat germ oil for scars diminishing is a reasonable solution providing you combine this treating with medical approach. For still better results you should also consider the following principles (Leslie Baumann, MD “Cosmetic Dermatology: Principles and Practice”; Margaret W. Mann, David R. Berk, Daniel L. Popkin, and Susan J. Bayliss “Handbook of Dermatology: A Practical Manual”; Therese Rochon “How to Put Wheat Germ Oil on Scars”:
- Check you skin for its sensitiveness to wheat germ oil.
- Consult you physician on the subject of the supplementation of your diet with wheat germ oil.
- Consider eating an overall well-balanced diet and drink plenty of water. Vitamins A, C&E, minerals and essential fatty acids are critical nutrients for skin health.
- Exfoliate your scars and the surrounding skin regularly and gently. It will remove dead skin cells so the skin can better absorb nutrients from wheat germ oil.
- Apply the oil to your scars daily after showering and before bed.
- Massage wheat germ oil into your scars for some time to accelerate localized blood circulation. It will help rejuvenate the skin underneath and improve the absorption of vital nutrients
- Use wheat germ oil for scars as soon as they have formed.
P.S. I personally use this brand’s Wheat Germ Oil for 2 years now and it has become the main oil for my skincare. I strongly recommend everyone with oily, inflamed or acne-prone skin to try this oil. I mix mine with sweet almond oil.