People with oily skin, especially if it is acne-prone, usually avoid using oils for their skin care. But holistic skin care expert Cecilia Wong ensures that there are a few oils that regulate the natural oil production of the skin versus clog pores. One of them is grapeseed oil, which is a beneficial treatment for acne and acne scars.
Grapeseed oil for acne-prone skin can be used on its own, as the enrichment of creams and soaps or as as basic oil for your OCM oil mixture. Using such skincare products can prove effectiveness in not only clearing acne, but also in keeping skin looking younger.
The active compounds of grapeseed oil for acne treating
The following ingredients of grapeseed oil clear acne and prevent new breakouts:
- Antioxidants – oligomeric proanthocyanidins complex (OPC). Their main function is neutralizing free radicals what helps to maintenance skin healthy and clean. The antioxidants also have antihistamine, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties (“International Journal of Molecular Sciences”, 2010). So grapeseed oil is effective in the complex treating of psoriasis, eczema, acne and sun burns.
- Linoleic acid (Omega-6). Harvard Medical School publication calls it a powerful collagen and elastin stabilizer. This fatty acid also serves as an emollient (moisturizer) that means it makes skin softer, smoother and fills in the spaces between skin cells. Emollients can also participate in reducing acne.
- Vitamin E. With its antioxidant features this vitamin is also a very effective means of struggle against acne. It also makes grapeseed oil to be helpful for acne scars reducing.
The properties of grapeseed oil required for acne treating
Grapeseed oil has a very fine texture, it is odorless and light. So the oil is absorbed be the skin easily without leaving the feeling of greasiness.
The oil has mild astringent properties. It tones the skin, helps get rid of excess oil and dead cells.
Grapeseed oil is ideal carrier oil for essential aromatherapy oils. It is advised to try tea tree essential oil to relieve and prevent acne breakouts. Two drops of it should be added to a tablespoon of grapeseed oil. The mixture will heal skin irritations, regulate sebum production and act as antiseptic.
Also there are the great restructuring values of grapeseed oil for acne scars healing and regenerating skin cells. The State University of Ohio has published the study result which says: “Grape seed extract helps speed up wound recovery”.
The using of grapeseed oil for acne scars
The recipe of skin exfoliant, which helps reduce the discoloration of scars.
- basic grapeseed oil;
- a tablespoon of raw sugar (for sensitive and dry skin) or sea salt (for oily acne-prone skin);
- a drop or two of essential citrus oil (lemon, grapefruit or orange);
- a drop or two of essential lavender or calendula oil.
The mixture should be massaged in circular motions with the concentration on the scars; it should be rinsed then.
Notice: the essential citrus oils are photosensitive. It is recommended avoiding daylight with them on as it will increase their activity too much.