Using olive oil for acne treatment is a good and completely natural way to deal with this kind of skin problems. Extra virgin olive oil exhibits an amazing moistening, refreshing and protecting properties which makes it a perfect organic solution for those who suffer from acne. Contaminated air, cigarette smoke, unhealthy and fattening food and excessive sun exposure pose a serious threat to the health of our skin. Thus olive oil helps the skin to counter the risk of pollution and damaging.
When our pores and skin follicles are blocked by dead cells, this leads to acne formation. The basic factor that causes acne is hormones (adolescence, pregnancy, menopause, menstruation). However there are several other causes that may lead to acne outbreaks:
- poor hygiene
- excessive sweating
- unhealthy diet rich in fatty products and fast food
- certain medications (e.g. oral contraceptives).
Olive Oil and Post Acne
A skin condition called acne scarring is rather common and it takes place after previous acne papules and pustules are healed. This scaring can be of different color (red, pink or even brown) and remains on the skin for a long time. Olive oil makes the scarring fade from the skin more quickly and helps to prevent further acne outbreaks. (Find out more benefits and uses of olive oil on skin)
Olive Oil and Acne Prevention
Olive oil contains monounsaturated fatty acids which encourage a necessary level of cholesterol in our blood. It is rich in Vitamins E, D and K and Beta-carotenes which turn to Vitamin A in our body. Olive oil improves the immune response in our body, protects it from infections and promotes the healing of wounds. Its anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties make olive oil acne remedy of high efficiency.
Ways to use olive oil for acne
- Massage olive oil (about 1 tbsp.) into your skin for 4-5 minutes. It is worth mentioning that olive oil doesn’t clog the pores, so it will not lead to acne. Leave it on your face for 5 minutes more. Prepare a bowl with hot water and lean over it for about 10 minutes. Be careful not to lean too close to the water as the steam can scald your face. Remove the sweat and excess oil with a towel. This procedure helps to soften the dead scar tissues on your face.
- Make an olive oil scrub by mixing 1 tbsp. of baking soda with 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Apply the mixture onto your skin and scrub for about 2 or 3 minutes. Wipe your face with a wet, warm towel. This scrub helps the scar tissues to become soft and loose so they will finally disappear completely.
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil with 5 drops of olive oil. Apply the oils to the acne scarring and inflammation areas with a cotton swab. Antimicrobial properties of tea tree oil will help your skin to be clear and prevent it from infections. After using this scrub the benefits of olive oil for acne scarring will become visible and the skin underneath the scar tissues will be protected.