Do you know any walnut oil recipes? Walnut oil is derived from nuts of the English walnuts tree according to Wikipedia. The oil is proven to be highly beneficial due to its nutritional profile. So it is recommended by dietologists to include walnut oil into our diets. What are the main ways of cooking with walnut oil? What recipes with walnut oil are especially tasty?
Cooking properties of walnut oil
Walnut oil has a vivid nutty taste and aroma. It is light brown in color and its texture is medium light. The smoke point of walnut oil, or the temperature at which it will smoke and become dangerous, is low. So the oil is recommended for cold- or low-temperature cooking. In this way it is similar to flaxseed oil (Read here a giude how to cook with flaxseed oil). Walnut oil is ideal for dressings, sauces and baking as it can add a specific taste and color to the finished product.
Ways of cooking with walnut oil
You may use walnut oil for almost any dish; just remember not to heat it too much. Walnut oil is used for:
- Meat: dress grilled meat with a combination of walnut oil with some other oil you like, drizzle walnut oil over cooked chicken or turkey with a spoon of walnut oil mixed with lemon juice, pepper and salt over the meat or fish when they are ready to serve.
- Vegetables: make salad dressings with walnut oil. There are a lot of walnut oil recipes for salad dressing available, for example at yummy.com. Cooking warm salads with walnut oil is a perfect idea. Chicken or turkey salads with walnut oil and olive oil acquire a delicious nutty flavor. You may add some walnuts as well. Olive oil will also add a lot of benefits, especially extra virgin olive oil.
- Pasta: prepare a sauce with walnut oil or simply drizzle walnut oil over your pasta, add your favorite cheese. Or add walnut oil to olive oil pasta sauce.
- Baking: Substitute walnut oil for some part of other oils and grease the mold with walnut oil. This will add a nutty flavor to the bakery.
- Bread: Dip bread into walnut oil. It is really delicious.
- Desserts: black walnut oil is often used for desserts as it adds a tender aroma and a nutty taste.
Fabulous walnut oil recipes
There are a large number of recipes with walnut oil and even booklets with walnut oil recipes are published. Try the classic recipes with walnut oil. Here are some of them.
French garlic source
You will need:
- 10 cloves of garlic
- A cup of milk
- 7 oz of anchovies
- 1.75 oz of butter
- ½ cup of walnut oil and olive oil
Clean the garlic and put in in a pot with milk. Heat it at a low temperature, let the milk evaporate. Add olive oil and butter, cook them together and put chopped anchovies. Stir for some time and in the end add walnut oil. The sauce is ready. Use it with any vegetables you like.
RELATED: How to make Garlic Infused Olive Oil
Italian pasta with zucchini sauce and walnut oil
You will need:
- a scant pound of pasta,
- a half pound of baby zucchini,
- ½ cup of walnut oil,
- 6 basil leaves,
- salt to your taste.
Boil pasta, steam heat zucchini, puree them with basil leaves, add walnut oil and grated Parmigiano. Serve the pasta with the sauce.