Castor oil is known for over centuries. It has been used in India and China as a remedy for many diseases. Today people mention a great amount of castor oil benefits. Are they myths or scientifically proven facts? So what is castor oil good for? What are castor oil benefits?
What is castor oil?
According to Wikipedia castor oil is pale yellow oil derived from castor beans. It is a triglyceride containing up to 95% of ricinoleic acid. This is omega-9 fatty acid with a large number of healing properties including antifungal, antimicrobial, germicidal and anti-inflammatory ones. Castor oil is free from ricin, a toxin present in castor seeds. So never try pressing castor oil by yourself.
Health benefits of castor oil
- One of the benefits of castor oil is pain relief. Massaging of the oil on the back or joints can ease the pain. The oil also lessens the arthritis and rheumatism symptoms due to the presence of the ricinoleic acid in its composition.
- Castor oil has been used as a laxative for centuries. The ricinoleic acid irritates the intestines treating constipation. The Food and Drug Administration has approved its safety and efficiency as a laxative. Read more about using castor oil for constipation.
- Castor oil may improve the immune system so it is used to treat Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis and other serious diseases.
- The oil may help with menstrual disorders and are recommended for women.
- Ricinoleic and undecylenic acids in castor oil have anti-inflammatory, antifungal and antimicrobial properties, so the oil is effective against fungal and bacterial infections.
SEE ALSO: All Castor Oil Uses You Might Need
Castor oil benefits for skin
Castor oil is one of the #1 remedies for skin care, especially for skin diseases due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties. Moreover, it moisturizes the skin and nourishes it. The oil is used for dry and oily skin, for treating acne, skin moles, warts and other skin troubles. It is a wonderful face wash and can effectively cleanse the skin without drying it out.
Benefits of castor oil for hair
Castor oil is wonderful for hair care. Applied on the scalp and hair roots it removes infections that cause weak and dull hair or hair loss. It is used to get rid of dandruff and to strengthen the hair. The oil is perfect for unmanageable hair and for treating split ends.
RELATED: Almond Oil Benefits for Hair
Castor oil benefits and research
You can find a lot of benefits of castor oil but there are no sufficient scientific studies conducted to prove all the benefits. Dr.Mercola enumerates the researches carried out to find out benefits of castor oil.
- A 1999 study proved that castor oil could increase T-11 cells thus the oil stimulates lymphatic system.
- In a 2000 study the ricinoleic acid of castor oil was found to possess anti-inflammatory properties exerted capsaicin-like ones.
- Castor oil possesses suppressive properties on some tumors.
- In 2009 it was proven that the oil reduces the symptoms of arthritis.
- According to the study conducted in 2010 castor oil may lower constipation.
- People suffering from dermatitis positively react to castor oil.