Sesame oil pulling is one of the popular techniques offered by Ayurvedic medicine. Such treatments seem to work and really do miracles for our well-being. This seemingly easy and effortless procedure significantly influences our health.
What is oil pulling?
Now, not many people have heard of oil pulling as it is not so wide-spread as yet. It all started in Ayurvedic medicine many centuries ago and has been preserved since today. The main idea of oil pulling is to “pull” all the harmful bacteria out of your mouth with the help of oil. For this, a person takes about a tablespoon of sesame or coconut oil in the mouth and swishes it around teeth and gums carefully and thoroughly. Physical properties of sesame oil “attract” the bacteria and allow you to spit it with the oil after swishing. Speaking about the connection between mouth and the rest of the body, it is a well-known fact that our overall well-being is tied to our oral hygiene because all food and liquid we consume goes through our mouth. Therefore, if there are any harmful bacteria there, it will get in our system and may actually lead to certain diseases. Earth Clinic gives an insight on this process and lists the primary signs of healing, like freshness of breath, teeth whitening and few others.
Few things to take into consideration when practicing oil pulling are:
- It is recommended to do oil pulling in the morning before brushing teeth and having breakfast
- Never swallow the oil you swish as it will contain all the bacteria that you wish to eliminate
- The average time to do oil pulling is from 15 to 20 minutes. However, for the first time around 5 minutes should be enough in order you get used to the procedure
- Swish the oil naturally and without effort, carefully rinsing between teeth and around gums
SEE ALSO: Oil Pulling with Olive Oil
Why sesame oil is the choice?
Global Healing Center explains why sesame oil is the choice for oil pulling. Sesame oil is one of the most preferred oils (together with coconut oil also used for pulling) for pulling due to its nutrition value and properties, such as:
- Contains antioxidants that remove free radicals from our system and protect our cells
- Decreases blood pressure and cholesterol levels (the effect of sesame oil for blood pressure decrease is strong)
- Has pleasant taste
- Contains vitamin E, which is of great benefit for our body
- Has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, thus reducing any inflammation and eliminating all parasites and bacteria
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: For Whom is Sesame Oil Healthy?
Summing up, oil pulling with sesame oil tends to increases popularity and is claimed to be a treatment for a number of conditions. Even though it is a personal choice whether to try it or no, oil pulling for sure does no harm to you, so is worth to give it a try.