If you cannot find chamomile oil at stores and suffer from skin irritation or inflammation we’ll tell you how to make chamomile oil at home. Chamomile oil is extracted from either the German chamomile or Roman chamomile flowers using a steam distillation method. This is essential oil with a tranquilizing and soothing effect widely-used in aromatherapy. Chamomile oil possesses a large number of health benefits especially for skin conditions. Chamomile oil may help with any case of irritated skin. The full list of chamomile oil uses is available at aromaweb.com. To make this amazing oil you will need chamomile flowers, dry or fresh, and any carrier oil. Olive oil or vegetable oil will do.
Procedure of how to make chamomile oil
You will need:
- Dry chamomile flowers (1/2 cup),
- Olive oil or any other plant oil (1 quart),
- Vitamin E (1 teaspoon),
- Rosemary oil (5 drops),
- Cutting board,
- Paper towels,
- Glass jars with covers,
SEE ALSO: How to Make Walnut Oil
- First of all, you need to prepare desiccated chamomile flowers. You may buy them at a health store or pick them up by yourself. If you have fresh flowers, wash them removing all rubbish and sand and dry them well. The moisture in them may cause mold.
- Put the flowers on a cutting board in a single layer and let them desiccate completely.
- Now you should prepare glass jars, clean them and disinfect. Jars and their covers should be dry without any water in them. The covers should close the jars tightly.
- Pour the oil into the jar. Don’t fill the jar to the top, leave ½ inch for flowers. Put chamomile flowers into the jar and blend them with the oil. The oil should wrap every flower. When the flowers are soaked in the oil seal the jar with the cover.
- Put the mixture in direct sunlight. The jar should catch sunlight 6-8 hours every day.
- Every day open the jar and collect moisture from the cover using a paper towel. Close the cover again and shake the jar. Remember shaking the jar once a day. The blend needs two weeks of direct sunlight.
- Now you should drain out the flowers with the help of a cheesecloth and sieve. If some pieces of flowers are still left in the jar, sift the oil once again.
- Add rosemary oil and vitamin E to the oil and blend them thoroughly. Vitamin E will prevent deterioration. Use the chamomile oil pouring some amount from the jar. It is a good idea to label the glass jar indicating the date and content.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: How to Make a Tea Tree Oil Toner
Where to buy chamomile oil
As essential oils have gained popularity nowadays, it is not a problem where to buy chamomile oil. You may find chamomile essential oil even in groceries, in pharmacies, aromatherapy and herbals stores or you may buy it online. Amazon.com offers chamomile oil or you may search for other buyers that sell the oil with discounts. It is recommended to buy essential oils in specialized stores than in groceries as the quality may differ.