Making a hemp soap at home is not such a difficult process as it may seem. However, few things have to be explained before starting. First let’s have a look at soap formation. According to Wikipedia, soap is formed by the reaction of an acid and an alkali. While making soap, oils used are responsible for one part of the reaction, and lye is responsible for the other. Saponification is the name of the reaction between these ingredients.
Before making soap, it is necessary to remember about precautions, safety and hygiene. The workplace has to be clean, all the equipment and ingredients lying in safe places and also it is important to use goggles and gloves.
The equipment consists of the following:
- Gloves (preferably rubber)
- Stove or similar heat source
- 2/3 liter jug or mixing bowl
- Stirring spoon
- Soap molds
- Electric blender
- Lye (caustic soda or potash)
- Distilled water
- Fragrances/essential oils
- Decoration items (petals, glitters, dye)
It is recommended to use the saponification chart to determine the necessary lye amount. When you find out how much lye is needed, you can prepare a lye solution, as it has to be cooled before using. Carefully pour lye in boiling water and stir until it fully dissolves, then leave it for cooling. However, it should not be less than 43o C.
RELATED: How to Make Tea Tree Oil Soap
This is quite a simple recipe including few oils such as olive and coconut. Ingredients:
- 4 cups Palm Oil (read more about palm oil benefits for skin)
- 3 cups Coconut Oil
- 2 cups Hemp Oil
- 2 cups Olive Oil (it is possible to make only olive oil soap)
- ½ cup Blend of essential oils
- 1,5 cups Lye
- 3,5 cups Distilled Water
- Decoration (petals, seeds, leaves, glitter)
- Place hard fats in the pot to be heated; once they become liquid, you can add other oils (except essential ones).
- When the mixture is all blended and liquid (with the temperature around 100o C), you can turn off the heat and gently pour the lye-water in it, stirring constantly. You should stir until the mixture becomes cloudy and more opaque- that’s when saponification begins. At that moment, use the blender to blend the mixture in short bursts, stirring gently.
- After the mixture is almost cool, you can add essential oils and decoration. It is better done with a spoon.
- Now pour the soap in the moulds, where they have to be kept for minimum 3 days. After that, take the soap out of the moulds and allow it to cure for 3-4 weeks.
The preparation process for this soap is the same as above, but the ingredients require only hemp oil.
- 2 cups Hemp Oil
- ½ cup Distilled Water
- ¼ cup Lye
- 1-1,5 Tbsp Fragrance Oil
This one will have a pleasant green colour and lovely smell. The preparation process matches the ones above.
- 2 Tbsp Castor Oil
- 4 Tbsp Cocoa Butter
- 1 cup Coconut Oil (find out how coconut oil affects skin)
- 1 cup Hemp Seed Oil
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- 1 cup Palm Oil
- ¾ cup Palm Kernel
- 4 Tbsp Shea Butter
- 4 Tbsp Hemp Butter added at trace to super fat
- 6 Tbsp Patchouli EO
- 2 cups Water
- ¾ cup Lye